From: TeichFauna@aol.com <TeichFauna@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Birthday Noreen
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Friday, September 12, 2008, 10:00 AM

Thank you, Donna, and all.  I appreciate it very much.

Have never been through a major hurricane.  We are still a good 10 or  more
hours away from the storm, storm surge or any rains......and already 90% of
Galveston is flooded, many of the homes along the beach have serious  damage.
huge fishing pier w/ bait shop and snackbar  that  we've used for fishing
already gotten totally destroyed.  All the areas  along the coast of Houston
and in the bay have already flooded.  This is  all prior to the storm, any
rains, or storm surge.   The pictures  eirely remind me of NOLA/Katrina, minus
the people thank goodness. My heart  just breaks for those people that
and are watching their homes  get washed into the ocean, and those inland
that are flooding now already before  the storm even hits.   Houston's
drains drain into the many  Bayous around, which drains into the Bay of
Many areas inland are  already showing signs of the Bayous filling, and the
water coming up through the  storm drains.  People that have been here through
the major hurricanes of  Houston, Carla in 1961, and Alicia in 1983 say that
this is similar to what they  saw with the Storm, not hours before. The city

Houston and those of  surrounding areas, were preparing for the worst, but now
they have no idea  what to expect with heavy rains and the storm surge, since
no one anticipated  all this so early on already.

I'm inland far enough not to feel the storm surge, but close enough to
definitely feel a significant impact.  The track at this time shows the eye
cross directly over our county, with the city of Houston being on  the dirty
side. We've taken down every epiphytic orchid, bromeliad and fern  that
were not
totally attached to the trees.  Also took down hanging  baskets, etc. and
tried to secure the other things as much as possible.   Can't board up all
windows because we have too many large plants in  front of many of them, but

think they might be protected by the plants  too. Can't bring everything
could be a projectile in, will be crowded  enough in here, with 4 dogs, 7 cats
plus foster kittens, rabbit, and box  turtles, plus hatchlings.  Water
turtles and fish will have to fend for  themselves....wouldn't be the firs
time they
swam around in areas of the yard  that flooded.   Did build a temp. cage
inside for the birds in  the outdoor aviary.  Also got trashbags, tarps,
and coolers  in preparation of anything that might happen.  We had water come
up to, and  into the house a bit with 12 inches of rain one time......the rest
of the  neighborhood flooded since we have Bayous all through the area.  So
not too  sure about flooding this time, especiallly with the Bay and Bayous
already  rising.  Not sure what might happen when the rains hit.  So we'll

see....as they say, hoping for the best, but bracing for the worst.

Dh is outside grilling up my birthday dinner, bless his heart....he said  the
steaks and Tuna would go bad if we were without power for any length of
time, so I might as well enjoy it now.  My stomach is a bit in knots, so  not
how much I'll enjoy it, but nonetheless it's a wonderful gesture on his

part, and it does add a bit of a bright spot to the day.....as do your wishes,

thanks.  One thing is for sure, it will be a memorable birthday.

Big hugs to you all......thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!!!
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 9/12/2008 5:09:59 AM Central Daylight Time,