Re: Daylily genes

What I meant about Stella is that, from my experience, if you don't divide her by the third year, you will litterally need a hacksaw and a lot of elbow grease. Or maybe just big strong arms and a shovel and a bellowing "Hi-yah!" as you you slice through a clump. When I dug a clump up after a few years I discovered not a mass of roots, but something different that looked like a very large white pineapple when sliced through. It was solid, as if the roots had all become one at the center. I cut it into 4 or 5 wedges, potted them and they grew again just fine. An indestructible plant.

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Apking" <redfour@omni-tech.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Daylily genes

Hi Kitty and all,
Is there any particular method to dividing Stella?  Just about all the
aftermath of the storm went East of us, got just over an inch of rain
and some heavy winds.  Thanks, Rich in Z-5

Kitty wrote:
Some of you are experts on Hemerocallis - Chris in LI and I think
Auralie knows a thing or two.  Anyone have a good answer for this?

I have about 12 named cultivars (though a few have lost their names)
of daylilies.  All are dormant growers.  A few are new so I can't say
much about their growth habits, but of the others, most seem to be
somewhat slow-growing to me. They might put on a new fan, occasionally
two each year. By contrast H. 'Crown Royal' must be divided every
third year and then it takes all manner of tools to pry them apart;
it's that vigorous.  I'll replant 8 again, but I'll have filled 30 pots.

Is it in the plant's genes?  What makes one grow so much more
vigorously? Though they grow in different spots, I beleive they all
get similar, soil, sun, moisture, & fertilizer conditions.

I am familiar with the difference of Stella d'Oro, but none of these
daylilies seem to be of that type.

Does anyone know of a way I can beef up the other hems more quickly?

neIN, Zone 5