Re: Ike/ponds

Oh my, Cyndi, I can so relate.....we regularly have storms here  that cause
flooding.  I'm used to wading out in the flooded back yard,  as the water
begins to recede a bit, to catch the smaller fish that  swim out of the ponds with
a net and put them back in the  pond.  How fortunate that your parent's Koi
were okay.   Many here lost their Koi because the power went out, so there was
no  filtration or aeration.  We put out battery powered aerators as soon as the
 rains stopped, this helped an awful lot.  Luckily we were home to be able
to do that, and put the fish back in the ponds.  I don't know if that would
necessarily work with Koi, but it did fine with the Goldfish and others.   The
serious Koi folks we know have back up generators that come on in case of
power outtage for their expensive Koi.  One reason I don't have Koi.....too
sensitive.  I had one Koi, a butterfly, years ago.....was my pet Koi  Boi.......we
lost power one summer day over a weekend while we were gone...by  the time we
got home, he was belly up.  Broke my heart, so I said never  again.
Thanks everyone for caring about my turtles....and us.  I have  good
news.....we found one of the lost turtles!!! YEAH!!! I have been  really worried
about them.  We do rescue and rehab for the Gulf Coast  turtle and tortoise
society, so although they are native, they are land turtles,  not good swimmers, and
definitely not ready to be released, and in some  cases never will be able to
live on their own.  Thankfully these were not  the worst ones that needed
medication, etc. ( we had found those prior to  the storm).....but still, I felt
very responsible.  I'm relieved to have  found one, now hopefully if I find
the last one, and all goes well with the  insurance adjuster.....we'll have most
of the Ike worries behind us and can  start to heal and rebuild.
Thanks again everyone.....

In a message dated 9/22/2008 5:43:14 PM Central Daylight Time,