RE: California fire

  • Subject: RE: California fire
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:04:55 -0700

No, it's the Station Fire that is very near us, maybe 10 miles away or a
little less. We are on the north side of that. We are getting a steady fallout
of ash from it today. Saturday was like some kind of eerie twilight all day,
the smoke was so thick. We had dinner at my sister-in-laws in Santa Clarita
and could see the smoke plume from there, it looked like an atom bomb had gone
off. But the wind shifted a bit so the fire is pushing more east than north
towards us.  We are still going to go on our trip; the weather is cooling and
it would have to jump the freeway and chew through 3 miles of tract houses to
hit us. Although if there were very high winds it might get close enough to
send embers our way - not very likely we think. Hope for the best!
The firefighters are really stretched thin. There is over 75 miles of fire
line, it's HUGE. We see the water bombers and the helicopters going over every
few minutes. They have a 747 that drops fire retardant too.
The Yucaipa fire isn't very far from where we take our horses and do our
volunteer work for the Forest Service. A little bad luck with that one and
half the wilderness will go up...the fuel there is incredible and it was a
fairly dry winter. Got my fingers crossed and they are hitting that one with a
lot of resources.
That's life in California I'm afraid.

Cyndi