OT: Cameras again

  • Subject: OT: Cameras again
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:03:39 -0700

I know we have some camera expertise here...
Our old Canon digital camera had a hardware malfunction, and my husband
(who will never be one of those folks living in piles of stuff) trashed
it and bought a shiny new ultracompact digital. Which, as it turns out,
we both hate.
Problem #1: there's no viewfinder. We carry the camera on horseback and
we're usually taking pictures in the sun. Neither one of us can adjust
the LCD enough to be able to clearly see what we're taking a picture of,
there's too much glare on the screen. And I can't see the image without
reading glasses, which I do not want to be whipping on and off while I'm
riding.
Problem #2: it's incredibly slow. You push the button, and 3 or 4
seconds later it actually takes a picture. Unless it's a landscape shot,
whatever you were pointing the camera at already vanished. With the
horse moving and all, it's also blurred, which I suppose is problem #3,
because our old one didn't do that unless you were moving about 40mph.
Altho I haven't tried playing with the settings so that maybe could be
fixed. But basically I want to set the thing on "auto" and take pictures
without futzing.
So - any suggestions? Gotta have a viewfinder, gotta be quick to fire,
small enough to hook on your belt (lets out all the SLR models).

Cyndi