Re: Rather sad
  • Subject: Re: Rather sad
  • From: "Zemuly Sanders" <zemuly@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:34:41 -0500

Well said, Noreen.
----- Original Message ----- From: <TeichFauna@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rather sad

Sorry, I'm coming in on this a bit late.....

I totally agree.  Here in Houston there are many different plant
societies. For years I heard about the snooty reputation, some more than others. I
attended the shows to see the various plants that I had only  seen in
books, make a wish list and buy the plants at the sales, since back then there
was no internet, so you had to purchase  locally.  Garden club or society
plant sales were and still are for the most part, the best place to purchase
the more unusual and hard to find  plants (at a cheaper price than online)
that actually do well in the area...and get first hand info from experienced
growers.   I was pleasantly  surprised to see that the people were not
snooty at all.  I found them to  be very eager to share their passion and
knowledge. I joined those groups that I had the most interest in that particular
plant group.  I avoided  even trying to join the orchid society because I
had heard they were the worst. I have now been a member for 3 years and was
upset that I hadn't  joined sooner.

Times have changed, membership to a society is no  longer considered as
prestigious as it once was 25+ years ago. From what I was told, there were
waiting lists to join the various plant societies,  and one had to have a
recommendation to join. Plants were much harder to obtain and therefore cost much more, so membership was pretty limitted to those that could afford the
plants to begin with.   But all this has  changed, and those members that
tried to maintain these standards are no longer around. Nowadays, I find
that the society members are  just extremely generous and passionate about
their plants, and eager to pass on excess plants and information to anyone
that shows a legitimate interest in  learning......not just obtaining free
plants. They are especially accepting of members that participate as well. Unfortunately there are those that are just out for what they can get. Some
societies have a  newcomers group  (I laughingly call it a probationary
period) that is required before becoming a member.......but in actuality this
is the best  thing.  Newbies learn the basics by going to members houses
once a month to learn about certain genera, growing methods, etc. and given
starter plants to try.  By the time the two year period is up, they have a
pretty good collection and knowledge about the plant group and know if they want to join or not. Many drop out after a couple months finding out that they aren't as into the particular plant as they thought........... but many
stay and  become active productive members.  These groups are social as
well as educational, and highly rewarding, but mostly to those that show an
interest or share their passion.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 7/29/2010 9:25:30 PM Central Daylight Time,