Re: Horned poppy seeds in the mail

Thank you Nan!

Susan Cooper

>>> Nan Sterman <nsterman@mindsovermatter.com> 08/24 1:11 PM >>>
To everyone who sent me envelopes for horned poppy seeds -- they are in the
mail.  My culture suggestions are as follows:

The seeds are being released by the parent plant now, so I would treat
these as other poppies, sprinkling the seed about onto well-drained soil in
the early fall and allowing the winter rains to germinate them.  Dont be
surprised if the plants don't flower until the second year.  The older
plants I have that flower well are in an irrigated area, but I have one
young plant that sprouted in a crack in a walkway, totally un-irrigated and
among concrete so there is much in the way of reflected heat and light.  It
is much much smaller than the seedlings that are irrigated, but it seems
quite content sitting there and looking pretty with its crenulated
blue-green leaves.

You can also start these seeds in pots --  I bought my initial plants in 1
gal containers.  Of the original three, only one survived past a the first
year but it has reseeded itself for many years now so I have an entire bed
of the plants.  Since they all seem to "knit" together, I can't tell how
many years a single plant survives, but I think that they are short-lived
perennials.  At this time of year, the leaves turn brown and die back.
Maybe they sprout from the base after they are done releasing seed, but I
haven't paid that close attention.   I have read that you need to
transplant starts to the ground while they are still quite young or else
you risk disturbing the root to the point where it won't survive -- again,
much like california poppies.

By the way, I have mine planted next to the oranged tinted carex (a grass)
and the combination is striking!

Good luck!

Nan Sterman
San Diego County California
Sunset zone 24, USDA hardiness zone 10b or 11