Getting out of the house

Of course today is the first day I really am bright eyed a bushy tailed
enough to go out and about (and Enjoy it).  Of course it's as Cold as
Antarctica and windier then can be.   But the Friends of the Indiana Dunes
had their annual sale and I was determined to get a Bloodroot and a few
other things to go with my hosta!  Well missed out on the trilliums, some
ferns, and witchhazel but I did get my Bloodroot,  Solomon's Seal and toad
lilies.  So now I can't be accused of being a hosta only kind of gardener
(although I don't think there's anything wrong with that).   Paul finally
took sympathy on me and decided he'd handle the eviction notice to the
voles.   For two nights he's faithfully gone out and laid poison near the
locations of the voles following everyone's advice.  Then he'd soaked some
apple halves in some stuff and laid those out.  Our local gardening center
recommended this technique because of his vole problem (I wasn't too
thrilled with this but if it removes the pests I won't complain).  He also
went and laid mice traps with apple as bait.   He spent this week checking
my books on plant location to assess the total damage.   The news was not
good.  I almost cried when I found out I'd lost a plant that my mentor
wanted a division of because of it's uniqueness.  Three were very special
ones that I doubt I'll be able to replace because of their gene make up.
Two that I loved because of the character and sports that they had thrown.
Seven that I'll be able to replace but not this year because I don't have
them in my budget.  Oh well live and learn.... I never had heard of voles in
our area nor had I seen any vole activity so I thought I'd be safe.  My
husband thinks I'll be going into over kill by making wire mesh baskets for
my special hosta but considering the amount of money invested I don't!   Oh
well.   Not pain no gain (in other words I've learned from my mistakes!)

Yours,
Kate E. Ardissono