How many ways can you kill a hosta? Don't!

Too all those who have unwanted plants... FYI... I just got back from our
county park board meeting and after a discussion with our Park
superintendent and our Park Foundation President any plants that are donated
to a non for profit group can get a tax deduction.   In our case if you
donate plants to our Park Foundation they will use them in a plant sale to
help build trails, benches, fishing piers for the handicap etc. etc....  We
can use the funds to apply as matching dollars for various grants.   To give
an idea how hard our group works,  we are one of the youngest, smallest
staffed park in Indiana yet we have Six parks.  Our newest is the crown
jewel for us.  It is an old girl scout camp that we bought this last year.
We heard about the sale of the scout land last February.  After contacting
our park foundation and presented the opportunity... well the rest is
history (the foundation collected $350,000 in donations to purchase this
park in three months).   Our park foundation is currently holding the land
in trust until we can apply for the appropriate grants to fund improvements.
This park will be the first county park to host a state dedicated preserve
(it's the headwaters to the little calumet river).  I'm proud of the people
on our foundation for the work they do and If you ever need to remove plants
give us a thought.   We may be small but we can accomplish lots (including
getting work gangs to dig up plants etc.)

Kate E. Ardissono
La Porte County Park Board Member