Zypher variegation

I was down at Charlie Purtymun's place (Walden West) today - working
on my truck that I was lucky to manage to get to his place before it
gave out.  I live 5 miles further up the road then Charlie.  Anyway,
hostas were coming up and looking nice.  Charlie showed me a flat of
seedlings from a (Zypher seedling) x various hostas.  I didn't try to
count them, but I would say some 10 to 15 percent of the seedlings
were nicely variegated.  The first leaves were well developed and the
variegated seedlings were just as vigorous as the green leaved
seedlings.  Many of the variegated seedlings were very nice for
seedlings that only germinated a few weeks earlier.

I forgot to ask Charlie if the Zypher seedling was variegated, but I
would guess it was.  Zypher is a hosta that hardly looks like it would
produce so many variegated seedlings - it's difficult to see the
variegation, but yet it produces some very nice variegated seedlings
and these variegated seedlings produce their own variegated seedlings!
This would indicate some genetic component to hosta variegation.  If
anyone has obtained Zypher seed from Charlie and gotten variegated
seedlings, use those variegated seedlings.  I suspect that if the
correct Zypher seedlings are intermated that it might be possible to
produce seedlings that produce 100 percent variegated seedlings with
certain crosses.

Joe Halinar