Update

Damage is still appearing from last week's cold spell. Some places in the
garden dropped to 24 degrees.  Almost everyday I discover hosta leaves that
are just now showing damage.

The plants with ventricosa and fortunei in their makeup came through better
than others.  In fact I have examples of both which received no protection
that are showing little to no damage.

Leaves on our Tulip Popular tree turned black and are now covering the ground
much like it was mid November.  All of the pollen tassels from the oaks froze
and dropped.  The driveway was covered.  The nut trees and fruit trees are a
complete loss this year.  The Japanese Maples are heartbroken and are about
to break mine.  New growth of up to six inches is hanging dead and I am sure
they should be trimmed.  On the brighter side, today I discovered some new
buds that are swelling.  Also our first young birds left their nest today.
In spite of the curves that Mother Nature throws, spring is here.

The nearly ten inches of rain over the last two weeks has doubled the grass
which has to be moved.

I have begun moving seedlings from the growing room and discovered that a
portion of them needed to be placed into two gallon containers.  Earlier
selections that were made for size continue to out strip others from the same
parents.  At least 90% of seedlings from Lakeside Surf Rider seem to have
inherited its gene for size and vigor. This week I have also selected
seedlings from last year to add to the garden for a few years of observation.
 A new group of pod parents have been selected to add to the already massive
group.  The giant seedling of last year has emerged with a roar.  It and the
plants around it were covered for two days.  The support holding its cover
was placed 6 inches above the top leaves.  Two days later when the cover was
removed it had grown the six inches plus one more.  It was covering the
support.

Another project for the week is to set up the sales area.  Sweeping and
sorting is almost over.  Roy is adding to the water system as I carry plants
from the growing houses.  When I am packing plants for shipping, I decide
garden sales is better way to go but when setting up the sales area I just
know that shipping is the way to go.  No, I am not confused.  All that I need
is about 3 good strong men to lend a hand.

We have finished reworking the soil in to sections of the garden and for the
past two days I have been planting those. Hope to finish by the weekend but
just an hour ago I discovered a more pressing job that must be completed
tomorrow morning.

All week I have paid special attention to plants that received BAP 10 last
summer.  At this time all I can say is that I am sorry I ever hear of the
stuff.  Treated plants are smaller and weaker.  Plants that had become stable
have put up streaked divisions again. According to the letter received Roy
treated his Fried Green Tomatoes again and asked me if I would like something
treated.  My reply, Please NO.
Will plan to write again sometime this fall,
Mary