Re: First Blooms--Small Trees

Cornus Kousa should certainly be hardy in Indianapolis.  We grow it in northwest Indiana with no problem.  However, it's not an early-blooming tree - it flowers in June here.
One of my favorites is Magnolia 'Betty'.  It's one of the little girl series of magnolias.  Gets about 10' tall with a nice full vase-shape.  Typical magnolia flowers - deep violet on the outside, flowering just after the saucer magnolias (so frost doesn't usually ruin the floral display here), and the flowers have a subtle lemon fragrance.  Great plant!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 9:40 PM
Subject: First Blooms--Small Trees

Cornus mas is now in bloom in our z5 garden---Indianapolis. I really like
this tree, as it has great(yellow) flowers, nice red fruit and good autumn
foliage.(It  can also be grown as an huge shrub,btw.)
What other early blooming trees, shrubs do you all rec? I have tried Cornus
kousa here---to no avail---I guess it is too cold here.
Whatcha gonna buy in the way of hostas? Carol and I are house hunting---we
want a smaller place, so I have to be very selective----unlike my former
self, when I bought everything! :) Perhaps I'll concentrate on some unusual
perennials for containers.Any suggestions?

Clyde Crockett z5  Indy IN