Re: First Blooms--Small Trees

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Derksen" <greenthumb@worldnet.att.net>
To: "Hosta Open Digest" <hosta-open-digest@mallorn.com>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: First Blooms--Small Trees
from my experience, you would have to work to make a shrub out of it.  Here
, where it grows" wild"  the plants become trees around 12 feet high , on
average and have a very pretty light yellow bloom.  It is called Blackhaw,
but the botanical name ( prunifolium) is because the leaves look just like
the elongated , glossy , leaves on members of the prune family.  Both it's
leaves and it's pretty fruit , remind you of cherry trees.  Here is is
commonly called Cherry viburnum, a much better name than Blackhaw, I think