Re: Hosta planted to deep froms a second crown at right depth.(don't count on...

township@acbm.qc.ca writes:

<< If I understand correctly what you are describing, I saw this last spring
on a 5-6 yrs. old Sagae I had to dig up.  It had 4 or 5  crowns all one
underneath the other, the deepest being about 6 or so inches below the
surface and the closest about 2 inches.  It was almost as if different plants
had been planted on top of each other over the years.   >>

Dan, Babrara, I remember a couple of years ago someone discussed the
formation of crowns in hostas.  I don't remember much about this but
apparently some hostas increase horizontally while others increase
vertically.  Does this sound reasonable to any of you guys?  I do know that
when I repot or divide hostas that I have found this to be true but did not
pay attention about which do what.  N.