Walking Hosta

Hi Everyone,
         All this talk of mulch and topdressing hosta reminded me that I hadn't gone out yet this year to see if any of the seedlings were getting away. Every year I plant the new batch of seedlings out in the ground in May, not because they grow better in the ground (they don't), but because I can be away longer without watering. The main problem with doing this is that every winter some decide they're not one bit happy about the cold and they're not going to stand still for it. I went out to check yesterday and sure enough some of them had climbed out of the ground and were trying to get back in the house. As usual none had gotten very far, only a few had actually made it all the way out of the ground, and these were within a few inches of where they'd been planted. One couldn't get its last foot free and was sticking up in the air like some strange little satellite. They don't seem to learn from their older relatives who always stay put and wait for spring. Oddly, their little taste of freedom doesn't seem to bother them much. I hardly ever lose any of them. This time of year I try to make a mental note to remember to tamp the soil down where they are in the fall after frost has stopped them, but come fall I never remember. Probably won't this year either.
                                                                                                                           ........Bill Meyer