Seedling growth

I've been reading the posts about seedling growth and vigor. Plus, I've seen
these pictures of people growing thousands of seedlings at a time. I've been
growing then indoors for 3 years now. How do you get the plants to
dramatically increase in size under lights? I did learn accidentally that
lowering the lights to a few inches above the foliage will really cause them
to grow, but after the 5 or 6 quarter or silver dollar-sized leaves emerge,
they limp along and start to brown on the edges. They don't do much more
until they are placed outside after the weather warms up. Loosely placing
plastic over the flats to retain moisture doesn't do a thing for me in the
growth department. I read about having them flower promptly after they are
placed outside...I can't figure out how.

Mike Groothuis