Re: Three layers in Hostas?

>" The tissues from nearly all of the higher plants are derived from
>3 layers of cells which are present at the growing tip of the plant.
>In Hosta, the central (LII) layer, or second layer forms the central
>area of the leaf and the ovules".

>So if LII is the second or central layer, there must be a LIII or
>third layer.

Actually, Vaughn's statement is vague.  If he is saying that the L2
layer in hostas is the "central" layer, that would imply to me that it
is the core, or what would be the L3 of a three layered plant.  Sounds
like he is saying it is two layered.

Actually, Ben with all the equipment available to him could easily
make some paraffin embedded sections of hosta apex tips and easily
tell us the answer.  Ben, is this possible for you do?

Joe Halinar