Re: Three layers in Hostas?

>I think that what Vaughn meant when he said central layer ( or
>central tissue) is the one between LI and LIII in the meristem. I
>don't know what the "core" means unless it means L III tissue of
>the plant. But this is Joe's term. Let's ask him.  Who knows???..I
>have been wrong before. What do you say Joe? Did I interprete this

I don't see where Vaughn gives a clear answer to the question of
whether or not hostas have two or three layers.  The "core" is the
inner most tissue.  In a two lwyered plant it would be the L2 layer
and in a three layered plant it would be the L3.  It may not be
absolutely corect to refer to the "core" as a layer because it doesn't
have any organized structure like the L1 and L2 in a three layered
plant.  It is more of a cone, a 3-D structure while the L1 and L2 in a
three layered plant are more of a plane (flat), being only one cell
thick at the apex.  The L2 of a two latered plant and the L3 of a
three layered plant is not a single cell layer, but rather a mass of
cell where there is no apical, dominant cell(s) as in the L1 or L2
layers of a two layered plant.

Ben could easily provide us with an answer by doing a microscopic
examination of a hosta apex.

Joe Halinar