If you ever want to see how many sites get maliciously hacked in a day (not viruses but similar because they are unwanted invasions into a server) take a look at http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/ .   This is where they post a listing of their various conquests on a daily basis.  Fortunately, most of these attacts are rather innocuous but how do you really know.  It's like a buglar came to your house, walked all around, and then left but wrote you a message on your bathroom mirror.  And what's amazing is that the FBI doesn't have much hope of ever catching these goof balls...

Unfortunately, the virii you speak of are much more insidious, many of which are based on Visual Basic's easy access to Windows based hosts.  Maybe if they would start collecting Hostas they would find that life is more rewarding when you're trying to help people, not to harm them...  It's a problem...

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com
1250 41st St
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516
I "replied" to a recent one of those, and got a very interesting message back.  (My intention was to spam the sender.) Seems whoever sends the virus "spoofs" where my "reply" email went. IOW, the reply address was NOT the address from which it was actually sent.  The reply that came, however, talked much about the virus and how you get it etc. One of us (at least) on this robin probably has it. The virus takes your address book and sends itself around. Etc. etc.  Has a way of propagating itself.  Very nice of the folks from which the Snow White email seems to come from to give so much helpful info.