Hosta roots in the air!

  • Subject: Hosta roots in the air!
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:56:55 -0400

Hi Folks
We've had a couple of beautiful, dare I say, hot days, so, like any good
hosta addict, I've been looking for signs of life.  Lots of it.  And its
scary, cause its only mid-April.
Anyhow, my question is:  I have about 75% of my plants with roots sticking
up above ground.  Age doesn't matter here...they can be 7 yrs. old, 4 yrs.
old, 2...or new from last year.   WHY?
First time its ever happened, unless its been a real old clump.
My thinking is that its been so dry, last summer, fall and hardly any snow
all winter, and I applied a nice dressing of horse manure last year, that
the roots are going up to get moisture, instead of down, where it usually
is....does this make sense?  Can it be anything else?  Its not
heaving...just roots sticking up.
Anybody else seeing this, and any other ideas as what is the cause?
What do I do now?

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"