Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

Dan & Lu:

>What rates have you had good luck with using Surflan with Roundup?

I don't mix Roundup and Surflan together, although I know it can and
is done.  I perfer to use them seperately - just easier for me.

>I'm using 3 oz of Surflan in 4 gallons....or .75 oz. per gallon in
>the final mix.

The concentration of the Surflan in the spray tank doesn't make any
difference.  You apply a certain amount of Surflan to a certain amount
of land.  If you want 1 oz of Surflan over 1,000 sq ft, you can spay
one gallon at a concentration of 1 oz per gal or you can spay 4
gallons at a concentration of 1 oz per 4 gallons - either way you
spray the entire tank on the 1,000 sq ft because you want 1 oz of
Surflan on the ground.  I figure out how much Surflan I want, put it
in 4 gallon backpack sprayer and fill the tank up to near the top.
Then I go over the area several times until the tank is empty.  It's
easier to get a more even spread of Surflan by going over the ground
several times with a lower concentrtaion in the tank then with only
one pass with a higher concentration.

>If the soil is still loose around a recently planted plant and
>Surflan is applied..

I don't apply the Surflan right after planting.  Whenever I plant a
bed that I want to apply Surflan to, I first water the bed quite
heavily to compact the lose soil on top of the ground and then spray
two or three days later.

>it doesn't work as well with high amounts of organic matter...or so
>the label says.

The best way to figure out just how much Surflan to apply to your
specific soil is to start with something less then the recommended
amount and see how long before the weeds start coming back.  Hostas
emerge rather late, so you can spray Roundup in late winter and then
follow that up with Surflan and get reasonable weed control without
too much effort.  Just use enough Surflan so you start to get some
weeds in the fall.

Joe Halinar