Re: Acer griseum---Paperbark Maple

  • Subject: Re: Acer griseum---Paperbark Maple
  • From: "P. Postlewaite" <Peter@ShadyPath.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:08:59 -0500

Clyde

I have a Paperbark Maple that is thriving in my Northern Illinois (z5) garden.  I agree with Dirr that it makes a stunning specimen -- make sure that it is located where the exfoliating bark can be appreciated in the winter.  There are a couple of caveats about successfully growing this tree, however.  It is not tolerant of drought, and it should have good drainage (particularly in winter).  This is a tree that should only be planted as B&B.  Individual specimens can vary considerably, so I would suggest that you find a source where you can look before you buy.  For example, you need to decide whether you prefer a single trunk or multi-stem specimen (I'm partial to multi-stem).  Additionally,  choosing a specimen with a more open growth habit will enhance its attractiveness during the summer, because dense growth will obscure the bark.

Pete Postlewaite