Variegated Sweet Gum

  • Subject: Variegated Sweet Gum
  • From: Betsy Mahtani <bmathani@flash.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:21:19 -0500

Have recently discovered about a 10" beautifully variegated sweet
gum--probably a shoot off a young seedling I cut down a couple of years
ago.  The shoots off the other side are all green, and I've removed
them, but haven't yet investigated to be sure the variegated one is a
shoot and not a seedling.  Most of its leaves are green centered, with a
very wide light gold border, but a few are solid light gold.

Does anyone out there know what I need to do to make this become a tree
on its own if it is a side shoot?

This is slightly hosta related, as it results from a heavy sweet gum
ball mulch a local gardener advised me to use around my hostas to
discourage slugs!  Of course, I wasn't surprised about the forest of
sweet gum seedlings, but it DID discourage the slugs!
Thanks,  Betsy