RAPD analysis in Hosta

Dear Hosta Folks
Hugo Philips attracted my attention to an abstract on RAPD
analysis in Hosta from an undergraduate student project. ( Just go
to Google and type Hosta RAPD). With RAPD short pieces of DNA
are pairing with total DNA at random. If two fragments are close
together the intermediate gap is filled resulting in a larger piece of
DNA Many genes are very similar resulting in similar sized DNA's
Some however are more or less restricted to some species So two
species might be different in say seven pieces of DNA. The RAPD
results are very peculiar and in contradiction to morphological,
geographical and total DNA arguments. An example: H minor,
"Nakaiana", venusta and capitata have very low similarities  and
end up in different clusters. They are divided in four clusters. I only
give  here cluster 2 : Laevigata( an hybrid), sieboldiana,
pycnophylla x longipes , longipes and ''Ibukiensis" . The other three
clusters have the same weird composition. ( montana is in cluster
1 and rupifraga in cluster four etc). Although we must wait for an full
article if it ever will be written, it seems that RAPD is not the
method of choice for Hosta species.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Institute of Biology,Leiden University, Clusius lab
Wassenaarse weg 64, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Fax: +31-71-5274999. min temp -10C (15F)