Re: Awards and Credits

TOWNSHIP wrote:

> Thank you Ran , Joanne & Clyde
> I am now begining to grasp the whole "Award" concept, related to hostas!
> Another question , in reference to Clydes reply:  What makes one an
> "expert"?
> Barbara
****************
BARBARA
I know you have had some opnions on the above, but let me try.  We do
have , associated with Hostas , some real experts.  Some like Kevin
Vaughn, Alex Summers, and Pete Ruh, and many others really have a good
and through understanding of the plant. Many others have a very good
working knowledge, from the perspective that they work from.  The
problem is we pick national award winners, from a certain gardens, and
situations, that reflect only how a plant (Hosta) does in a given area
or region.  Only a very few awards, like the Alex J Summers award, are
regularly selected for plants by real experts, who have a wide
background , and have knowledge of how the plant does over a broader
area.  The "garden awards" gives to Hostas, are especially open to
flawing.  Two or three years ago, Many of us saw a hosta selected in a
garden for an award vote, that was mis-labled.  Had this plant gained
enough votes, we might very well have awarded recogination to a name
that was for the wrong plant.  What is really needed, Is a system that
allows imput for award selection on the basis of how the plant does over
all areas in US and Canada.  If , like so many of the fragrents, or the
seboldianas, it does not do well in a an area where Hostas are commonly
grown, It SHOULD NOT win national recognition.  The AHS board is slowly
beginning to acknowledge, and understand this fact.  I see some changes
are being studied and hopefully this will result in more Hosta awards
that really have meaning.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.