Re: minimum a plant should be grown and observed

>I don't know if the daylily society still does it, especially if it's
>prohibited, but if I recall they used to publish reserved names in
>their handbook.  I don't remember that there was any unmanageable
>list, in fact there were very few, and if the daylily people couldn't
>abuse a system like that, nobody could.

The daylily society has a really messed up system.  First you have to
pay $5 to pre-register the name and have it approved by a special
committee and wait 30 days before it can be registered.  Then you have
to pay $10 to have it registered once the name is approved.  Or you
can send in $15 at the same time but the registeration don't become
effective untill 30 days after its name is approved.  All of this was
done to generate more income for the society to pay the registrar's
salary.  Also, the registeration date is considered the introduction
date as far as the awards system goes.  The pre-registered name is
good for, I believe, 7 years.  However, you can also reserve a name
for $10 for two years!

Up until recently daylily people have been mostly registering their
daylilies because of the snob appeal it has and also because it was
not expensive.  For some reason there is a significent difference in
the way daylily and hosta people approach registration.  Daylily
people have been pretty much willing to go along with registration
because the daylily society is pretty much a snobbish society.  It
seems to me that hosta people are different.  I don't detect the same
high level of snobbish behavior in the hosta society as I do in the
daylily society.

Joe Halinar