Re: retain their species names

  • Subject: Re: retain their species names
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:37:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/01 11:36:59 AM, bobaxe@sbtek.net writes:

<< Hi everyone
    I was working on adding descriptions to the M section of the library. I
came across montana Mountain Snow. Why does this one and a few other
plants retain their species names when most others lose theirs when
hybridized. This makes it darn confusing if there isn't a good reason
for it.

The only reason that I can think of is that it don't need a reason.  Doesn't
that sound reasonable. Let us then give thanks that you have beside you the
'Lemke's Master List of Hostas'.  Look in the alphabetical listing at all the
'montanas'.  You will note most of the ID numbers have a HN beside them which
stands for Horticultural Name.  You will find only RS or Registered Species
have the RS.  Your montana Mountain snow is ID 184-HN.  That tells you to go
to the numerical list and it will show 'Montana Snow' or ID 184-RC.  There is
hardly any excuse for using the wrong name for a hosta.  We can't let it get
to simple or we would have nothing to do.

N ow if we only knew how to make it rain by plugging in the right numbers.

Hot and dry in Des Moines,

Marvin (Mike)  Lemke