butterfly road kill - really sad

  • Subject: butterfly road kill - really sad
  • From: "bykands" <bykands@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:28:37 -0500

Hi All,

On the way down to visit Ken's parents in Sioux City, Iowa the
strangest thing happened.  From Worthington, Minnesota to Sheldon,
Iowa about 50 miles swarms of butterfly's mostly Monarch were flying
into cars.  I don't mean just a few they were in the 1000.  The car
was covered with dead butterfly's.  Besides driving to Sioux City we
also drove another 150 miles from Sioux City to Boone, Iowa and back
to Sioux City and didn't see a butterfly on the car.  On the return
trip home in the same area and a different time of day the same thing
happened.  We asked a lady that worked at a truck stop and she didn't
know why it happened but she thought it happened every year.  The only
crops we know that are grown in that area are soy beans and corn so
what could be attracting them and does anyone know what would cause

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity.
- Joseph Addison (1672-1719)

Ken and Sue Dutton
2620 Lake Shore Ave.
Little Canada, MN 55117