Re: new hard drive

  • Subject: Re: new hard drive
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

>What was with those "turbo" buttons!? Yeah...I made it a practice to
>push that button to slow down my machine....uh no.

Actually, they were intended to slow down games!  The games written
for the early machines were all DOS programs that ran on slow
machines.  The computer manufacturers were building faster and faster
machines, at least compared to the 10-12 MHz 286's, but there were a
lot of games that ran way too fast on these "speedy" 33 MHz computers,
so the turbo button was installed, although it should have been called
the "slow down" button.  Even in the early days of Windows 3.1 game
programers were still programing DOS applications.  It wasn't until
they started writting game programs for Windows that the turbo button
became really useless.

Joe Halinar