Great Expectations

  • Subject: Great Expectations
  • From: FrSch2533@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:49:07 EDT

My Great Expectations is not living upto my great expectations of it. It has been getting smaller and smaller, and really struggling.  This summer I had a couple groups visit my garden, and several others remarked that their Great Expectations was also doing badly.  I asked our local nursery about it, and the reply I got from them was as follows, " I recently talked to one of our perennial suppliers who had an answer to our questions concerning the hosta Great Expectations.  He told me that several years ago an inferior stock made its way into the market and was widely distributed before it was discovered to have a genetic defect causing a stunted and declining growth habit.  In spite of the fact that it was caught rather quickly there was enough marketed and sold before anyone realized what was happening to them.  He said they were sold in our state (Ohio).

I have been trying to purchase a new one, but it seems nobody in this area has one that is healthy enough they wish to sell it.

Anyone else having Great Expectations troubles?

Freddy Schaefer