H. 'Something Different'plus Blue Sum and Sub

  • Subject: H. 'Something Different'plus Blue Sum and Sub
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:02:56 -0500

Two hosta questions/comments.

I purchased H.'Something Different' years ago and it struck me simply as a
mild theme and variation on H. 'Gold Standard'. I purchased one two weeks
ago at Tri-Sate in Conn.  It was exactly like h. 'White Wall Tires' (before
it goes viridescent ) a beauiful white with bright green veins, but had a
great non-bleeding green margin. Zilis describes the plant as gold/yellow
centered, and does not mention any other charateristics.I can't find the
registration information right now. Even when H. 'Gold Standard' has burned
out I have not seen it like this plant.I checked the hosta library and
found a photo which is headed in the direction of what I have, but even
from the photos there seem to be some differences in this sport that may
not simply be a matter of the amount of sun it recieves. Maybe not

Topic two. Once again as I used the library and a couple of the new bells
and whistles that Bob has installed, I can't help but think how lucky we
are to have Bob to do this labor of love for all of us.it has to be a labor
of love, for how else can one explain the altruism behind it? Let the day
lily people turn green with envy.  It is incedible and I offer him nothing
but praise for this enterprise. Many of the new photos are wonderful. The
problem with the library is that it keeps me from the garden.

Last thing. Is there a sport from Sum and Substance that has any bloom on
it? Is there a case where bloom (wax) has appeared on a sport where it was
not present on the progenitor? In  short is there, or can there be a blue
sport from Sum and Sub?

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156