Re: Fairy Ring hosta question

  • Subject: Re: Fairy Ring hosta question
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:22:25 -0400

Tom,

I agree with what Pat said but would like to add that 'fairy ring' takes many years(maybe ten or more) to develop and even then most cultivars don't have a problem. Another solution would be to dig and divide such a hosta and plant other locations. You could then replant the same area with nice sized pieces of the hostas dug from that location.

Fairy Ring most likely will never be a problem with your hosta planting, so plant away.

A bigger concern might be the best color, size and sun or shade tolerance of the hostas you select for your planting location.

Tell us a little more about your planting location and we may be able to offer some fine tuned advice on cultivar selection.

Best of luck.

Dan & Lu