Re: Youth Committee Chairperson

  • Subject: Re: Youth Committee Chairperson
  • From: Alttara Scheer alttara@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:26:33 -0400

I've been pondering this...it seems to would be a difficult age group to target, since they are not of the age to have their own gardens, and on the verge of going off to college, or starting to work or what have you. Unless you mean much younger youths!

My experience is that teenagers these days have so much going on, and the ones I know are busy being social or working on their grades, even years away from high-school graduation. Besides, I don't think there's any reason they couldn't do all the things everyone else does, unless they're old-fogie-phobic! LOL!

Not that I don't think it's a wonderful idea! But kids' exposure would be mostly through their parents.

Hmm. You know, I'm thinking as I'm writing this...how about a comic in the journal that was geared towards kids, and kid-friendly activities at meetings/conventions? Personally, I have a 7 yr. old, 5 yr. old, and almost 3 yr. old, and in years past they have all been exposed to hosta events, having been toted along to First Look and to Ohio for Hosta College, but mostly daddy kept them occupied elsewhere while mommy did her thing, and we'd meet up for lunch and dinner. It would have been great if there were things that they could do, too. And that would free up more people in my age group, who have a hard time attending these things without an incredibly supportive and sacrificial spouse, or plenty of money for babysitters!

Ok, I think I'm seriously considering taking the post!

-Alttara