Re: Growing bigger hostas

  • Subject: Re: Growing bigger hostas
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:06:26 -0400 (EDT)

This subject comes up frequently by visitors to my garden.  My question,
" Just how big should we try grow them"?  Theprocesses> as noted by
several others, are no mystery.  Plant them in deep , high humus soil,
add very frequent water, and loads of maricle gro.  This will definatly
get you giant ( depending on the natural size of the plant) plants.  But
~~~~ is that what you want.  The space you allott for a given plant (
hosta) in your garden, needs to remain fairly constant.  Once Plant A
grows to 5 feet across, you continue to "need" a five foot plant in that
space.  So if you committ to all the watering processes and the heavy
fertlizing, you need to continue with that.  The results?
In recent weeks there was some discussion about the tallest hosta in