Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users

  • Subject: Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users
  • From: "Dorie Rose" <dories-nitche@charter.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:27:11 -0500

We use the Metal Halide light in our basement.
We found that the some hostas tips scorched even at a distance of 4' to 6'.
We did have our plants very tightly packed so that the scorch was only the
tips.
We moved the hosta to a lower shelf were the light was reflected by mirror
and plastic mirror film.
The leaves on the outer edges of the plant stand still scorched.

The hosta did grow like mad.  We were amazed that we had blooms on seedlings
in 3 months.
The seedlings leaves stayed small and were very densely grown.
Reminded mo of when I had mowed down a hosta and the second flush came up
with much smaller leaves because the lateral buds have been forced to grow.
We were intrigued by the full size blooms on almost full size bloom stalks
coming from this lawn of small hosta leaves.

The fixture we had for our Halide light was recalled and we used only
florescent lights this past winter.
We had 22 4' fixtures with 2 bulbs each.
That cost more to run than one Halide lamp and did not give as much light.
Very disappointing.  We are spoiled.