Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users

  • Subject: Re: Any experienced Metal Halide Users
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:42:48 -0400

Hey Andrew,

Look into high pressure sodium lights too. A slightly different spectrum but
even more lumens per watt. Longer bulb life too. Also look into light movers.
There are circular types and linear types......they will triple the area in
which to grow plants and will lower leaf temperatures also and will pay for
themselves. On some movers you can mount fans which can be set to blow
directly on the plants right under the light as it moves. Of course
ventilation fans for the whole room are a good idea because you don't want
moisture condensing on or in you house walls and windows. Small muffin or
computer fans work well and are cheap. You don't want dead spots in your room
where there is no air movement.

I would imagine a 400w metal halide or high pressure sodium light would do a
12' x 12' growing area for hostas if you use a light mover. HPS lights put out
almost 4 times the lumens per watt than fluorescents. You can also remotely
mount the ballast so it's heat output could be in another room. In the winter
the heat from the light just heats your house but the moisture can be a
problem.

The next step would be CO2 enrichment and then onto hydroponics.

There is a book I read years ago called "The Indoor Gardener". It covers
almost all of the questions you have. You should be able to mail order almost
everything you need.

Jim Hawes used a 60w HPS light in his greenhouse to add to day length and grew
up seedlings and bud cuttings through most of the winter. He started seeds
under several 4' florescent lights on 24 hours per day and then moved them to
the greenhouse. It doesn't take much supplemental light to keep hostas from
going dormant due to short photoperiod. I believe Jim used 15 hours total
light period in the winter. Jim also used CO2 from a room heater......which
added heat and CO2 at the same time.

Good Luck,

Dan an Lu