Re: soil

  • Subject: Re: soil
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:50:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Bill

I believe you think I'm talking about some pure
organic approach to hobby gardening. The things I'm
saying about the soil are purely practical and I don't
care about anything anyone does toward that end. When
I get to vinegar it should be clear. Reread my post
without thinking that it relates to anything but how
the soil works and if you understand for example that
tilling creates a problem then you won't do it. Take
the label off me and look for what will help you grow
these plants to their maximum size, beauty and health.

1. I realized that I had spoken out of turn on
nematodes immediately and retracted my statement.

2. I have no interest in what method is used to kill
the slugs because they have to DIE. So any method that
accomplishes that is fine. Vinegar is an acid and will
cause problems if sprayed on the foliage. I said spray
the area around the hosta on the ground. There will be
a mild chemical reaction that will neutralize the acid
and the process will get back to work. Many of the
slugs will be dead by then and repeated applications
will take care of the problem. Household ammonia works
also and it to will have a similar small reaction
period with the soil.

3. I cannot imagine what I said that lead you to
believe the things I've learned about how the soil
works has anything to do with bringing in pest,
disease, or invasive plants. If I did I'll use the
Presidential excuse of I misspoke myself. And like
Bush I know I must have made a mistake but I can't
remember one. Except that woman I met in Nashville, I
knew it was a mistake but I couldn't help myself.

4. I'm not talking about no-till farming but much of
what is being learned is from research in sustainable
farming and no-till is in that area. Hobby gardening
is not sustainable and will disappear as soon as you
walk away. BIG SO, everything I'm saying will help you
grow these weak hybrids to their maximum size, beauty
and health.

5. You use the word "seems" to grow bigger better
hosta. They are doing this by 2 methods, added
fertilizer and regular watering. All of this attention
seems to work but it is the extra attention that gives
the result. Your words "at the bottom of all of this"
I'll give you the formula that will accomplish your
1. Plant in the smallest hole possible.
2. Mulch
3. Water (another whole discussion)
4. Make compost tea and foliar spray. If you want to
add more fertilizer then add it to the foliar spray.

Almost your last line is "it does not seem to be the
best". Prove it by setting up side by side trials.
Then it won't seem like I'm right or wrong, you will
know. I've said that it takes about 3 years for the
system to really get going so you won't have good
results until the 5th year. Do you plan to have your
garden that long?

Do you Yahoo!?