I fooled my Guru

  • Subject: I fooled my Guru
  • From: "Sunshine Farm & Gardens" <kniphofia@sunfarm.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:45:58 -0400

Brent Heath, co-owner of Brent and Becky's Bulbs, with his lovely wife Becky,
is more than just a friend and mentor to me. He's my "Bulb Guru" and I've
NEVER been able to stump him on a bulbous plant ID! That was until Kniphofia
thompsonii snowdenii came along. It's so unlike any Kniphofia species we've
ever seen, that he mistakenly guessed it to be a Watsonia or Lachenalia, two
other South African natives and members of Liliaceae and Iridaceae
respectively. However they're not hardy. In the unlikely event that you're
unfamiliar with the Latin name Kniphofia, you'll probably recognize them by
their common names, "Red Hot Pokers" or "Torch Lilies". But as you can see by
the soft, warm orange color of this species, they're not all red. Not at all,
in fact, there are yellows and creams and all kinds of shades of very warm
colors.

The genus Kniphofia is primarily a South African native, but they're easy to
grow in virtually any location in the U.S. There are many named hybrid
cultivars of Kniphofia available on the market and most of those commercially
available are cultivars of Kniphofia uvaria.

Kniphofia thompsonii snowdenii, in addition to being extremely hardy, is very
rhizomatous and in a year or two, you'll have an attractive, large clump that
produces multiple flowering stems. The pendulous, tubular 1" - 2" flowers on
12" - 36" rigid stems make GREAT cut flowers as they open slowly over their
long flowering period in early to mid Summer. If this becomes your first
acquisition in the genus Kniphofia, you'll certainly be hooked and want more.
If this is an addition to an existing Kniphofia collection, it will further
stimulate your interest in the genus and you'll soon be combing the Earth for
more.

Although they do best in full sun to light shade in average soil, they can
handle deep shade and/or dry soil.

I'd be pleased to share this welcome addition to any garden with you and I'll
be shipping them as vigorous, bareroot 2 year old plants that will flower for
you next year.

The prices below include FREE SHIPPING!!!

7   for $ 35.00  delivered ($5.00 ea)
10  for $ 45.00  delivered ($4.50 ea)
15  for $ 60.00  delivered ($4.00 ea)
20  for $ 70.00  delivered ($3.50 ea)
50  for $150.00  delivered ($3.00 ea)
Quotes on larger quantities by request.

Please include your Postal address, UPS address and phone # on a separate
sheet of paper with your check.

Most of our previous weekly specials are still available, go to -
http://sunfarm.com/specials/ to browse the archives.

By the way, if you're getting more than one copy of my mailings, want to sign
up a friend, or for some insane reason, to unsubscribe, don't reply to this
unmonitored email address. Just send an email to my personal email address -
barry@sunfarm.com

Cheers,
Barry
Happy Gardening,
Barry Glick aka Glicksterus maximus aka The Cyber-Plantsman
Sunshine Farm & Gardens
HC 67 Box 539 B
Renick WV 24966 USA
304-497-2208
EMAIL - barry@sunfarm.com

Altitude 3650 feet * Latitude 38.04N * Longitude 80.26W * USDA Zone 5

***TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR OF MY GARDENS AT***
http://www.sunfarm.com/tour/

***SUNSHINE FARM & GARDENS WEB PAGE***
http://www.sunfarm.com

***PREVIOUS SPECIAL OFFERS***