Re: Fertilizer Bargain

In a message dated 8/1/1998 9:36:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
mikecook@pipeline.com writes:

<< Please tell me why one would avoid fertilizing in hot weather,
 and what is a good temperature range for fertilizing.   >>

My good friend, Bill Meyer from New Jersey, told me that Osmocote and the
other slow release fertilizers will "break" at high temps---thus becoming
wasted or giving your plants too much of a good thing.

Other types of LIQUID fertilizers should be used all season, in my opinion. In
our area, acidics are a must. That's why I use Miracid every two weeks. (I can
think of only one genus on which one should not use acid fertilizers.)

Main thing to do is water, water and water some more.

For hostas that you have planted this year as one or two division plants--you
MUST fertilize the heck out of them until 4 weeks before your frost date if
you want them to be in top condition in the next spring.
The only fertilizer that is recommended for hostas that I'd be VERY careful
with is Superphosphate. Otherwise, continue to use lots of nitrogen and

Clyde Crockett z5