Re: Western Red Cedar

Well now, that's certainly not what I wanted to hear.  No Clyde, this is not
the stuff you have in your closets and chests - that's aromatic (sp?) cedar
and has a much stronger smell than the cedar shavings I used.  I could only
smell it slightly while standing over a pickup load of the stuff, however,
after spreading it over the garden my wife culd easily smell it from 50 ft
away (needless to say, her smeller works a lot better than mine).  Now that
it's been down several weeks the smell has diminished.  We've had a lot of
rain lately tho.  Also, it does not appear to have killed any of the bugs,
since the voles are having a field day making tunnels all over the place - you
can actually watch them running around under it as the shavings wiggle and
rise and then fall as they run around (Easy to stomp on too.)  And...I know
the slugs are still there, so it hasn't done anything for them.

As far as being carcinogenic, inhaling the dust could very easily create
problems.  And, the fact that cedar has the same oils, called tanum I believe,
which is a natural preservative, as does redwood, this could very well be the
problem..  If the tanum is washing out of the cedar it could be polluting the
soil beneath and this oil would not be good for plants.

More to follow.

Ronnie