Some Beginner Questions

Hi everyone!

I have a few now three year old hostas in my garden (some of the more
common varieties).  I plan to acquire many more hostas over my
lifetime have a few questions for all of you experts:

Some of my hostas are starting to overgrow the space that I had
allocated to them (dummy here not realizing how wide of a space these
guys would be ultimately taking up, and I don't even think that they are
considered 'mature' yet!).  Can I just take a few divisions from
around the plant every few years so that it fits in it's spot, or is it best to
move the whole plant?  Do the plants move well?  Are there any tips or
guidelines to follow when moving a hosta and/or taking divisions?

Do hostas vary greatly in their widths at maturity, or is there a
recommended spacing guideline that can be applied safely to most
hostas, so as to minimize having to go through the above again?

Thanks,

Laura
Montreal, Quebec (just squeekin' in under zone 5)