Re: Seed Irradiation

I tried this 2 years ago after a presentation about mutations and sports.  In
the presentation Lois Girton (? I don't think I spelled her name right), said
that irridation is the best way to get mutations.  so I had a whole bunch of
seed from Sum and Substance x Lakeside Ripples.  I had my dentist radiate them
in four increasing doses, and kept some control plants.  Some bloomed this
year, but not all.  I have noticed that the ones that received the most
radiation, seem to have so much substance they are almost rubbery.  I tried to
cross some, only had two pods and don't know if they will germinate.  I have
to wonder if they might be tetraploids because the pollen parent was also a
seedling that had received the most radiation.  I have been told that to get a
mutation, you really should radiate the meristem, not the seed.  A little
knowledge (me) can be dangerous, but it's fun.
I am anxious to see what they do next year, because they should all be
blooming size.
Kay Dye, Edelstein, IL, Zone 5

<< My question  is has any of you/us tried any radiation or
 chemical treatments to Hosta seed or even plants, if so do you mind
 sharing your experience? I have some Sum and Substance  seed that I had
 a dentist friend expose to   70 KVP @7MA for 180 seconds . I am really
 curious if I will see any interesting seedling from this small dose of
 radiation.My Uncle told me when they irradiate wheat seeds they do large
 batches for hours at a MUCH HIGHER rate than I can get access to. >>