Re: Stabilized William Lachman

In a message dated 8/23/1998 9:40:59 PM Central Daylight Time, MRD902@aol.com
writes:

<< I thought something like this would be common in William Lachman.
 Does anyone else know of this hosta? >>
------------------
Mike & All,

Yes. You are referring to the yellow-edge "reversion?" Most of my 'William
Lachman'
came up all green one year. There was one division with a yellow edge. I tried
to grow that on, but it eventually became all green. I wish now I had kept the
plants---however, I discarded them or gave them away.
What is the pedigree of 'William Lachman'? I know that some have gotten great
seedlings using it as a pod parent. Does it have 'Beactrice' in its
background? 'Beatrice' will always produce streaked seedlings, when used as a
pod parent. BUT the progeny are HIGHLY unstable.
I do not regret buying 'William Lachman' for $100(!), for it has given me a
dwarf sport, of all things! Only problem--it has never bloomed! It is a cute
one, though.

You should register yours. I don't think anyone has done so.
Clyde Crockett z5 Indianapolis IN
ccredux@aol.com
P.S. I have heard that Handy Hatfield is back in business. I hope so. It was
from his nursery that i have gotten my best hostas.if you know, please let us
know. TY!

cc