Re: Nematodes

In a message dated 8/26/1998 10:03:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
mikecook@pipeline.com writes:

<<  I don't have nematodes...is there some type of preventative action I
 can take?
Here is my suggestion: When you acquire another hosta, plant it in an isolated
spot for the first season to see if it is infested. If it is, burn it. Douse
the ground where it was growing with gasoline. When I write "isolated," I mean
REALLY isolated.
I have known people to get infestations from the greatest nurseries. Indeed,
Frank Riehl made my head spin when he told me of the prominent nurseries the
stock of which was badly infested. It is EVERYWHERE!
Another possible method of killing them: Plant newly acquired hostas in FULL
HOT sun the first year---but also in an isolated area.

Clyde Crockett z5