Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #484

Although Joe cannot decide on the difference between a leaf and a
cotyledon, there are so many mistakes in his message I feel obliged
to answer as also my name is (mis) used.

> When you look at any other plant genera
>you don't see the level of variegation that you see in hosta.  If
>hosta variegation was due to mutations then you would see the same
l>evel of mutations in other plants.

We see so may variegated hostas as they are selectively collected
and selected from thousand of plain green ones!!

>Variegation in hostas is most likely due to either transposable
>elements or some other mechanism that turns genes on and off.

I already mentioned transposable elements in one of my articles in
the journal, you are a good reader. Moreover transposable elements
are just one of the ways mutations can arise!

> If you look at Francee in the spring you
>see that the margins are lighly yellow when the new leaf is still
>small. If you look at Patriot you see that the edges of new leaves
>are yellow, but a deeper yellow.  The leaves of Patriot have a wider
>edge, the color of the center is a darker green and if you feel the
>leaves they have a thicker, heavier feel to them.  If you propagate
>enough Francee you see this Patriot form showing up from time to
>time, but sometimes not as intense as Patriot.  Also, you get light
>green forms from time to time.  This is a POSITION effect.

What is your proof and were is the literature!!

  Moreover it is not true. The differences between Patriot and
Francee have nothing to do with position effects. It has to do with
ploidy differences see the article in the next Hosta journal

>calaco cats of the hosta genus, except it's not a X/y based sex
Any proof????!

>Getting a good understanding of transposable elements is difficult.

Transposable elements are simple They are one of the ways mutations
arise  and well by inserting a piece of DNA in a gene

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands