Re: dying hosta & trees

In a message dated 8/12/99 10:34:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
seabeth@heart.net writes:

<<  We went for
 about four weeks without rain and because soil moisture seemed adequate, I
 did not water.  Finally started to water but the crown rot had begun before
 that.   >>

under what kind of trees?....what impact do they have on the hosta....the
willows in my yard have caused rot on a few plants...my theory is that the
tree stressed the plant the year before, making it susceptible to the rot the
following year....they caused the rot, by compacting the soil and draining
every drop of water from the soil.....

beth...are the affected plants under your dreaded mulberry, which is worse
than the willow...or under your dreaded maples...which are worse than
both....lol

and did you water right thru intil dormancy in late fal....can you be sure?

ken