Re: sports

RL wrote:
> James M. Anderson wrote:

  By the way, I do
> > not mean to imply that TC is inducing mutations, just that I readily see
> > large numbers of plants.
> >
> > Jim Anderson

Hi Ran, I am almost certain that the labs you purchased Spilt Milk from
had vigorously culled the plants before you got them. The cull rate, at
least in my lab, is close to 100%, if not, in fact, 100%.

>I could go on , but the picture is clear.  There is a vast
> difference between the general notion that Hostas "color sports" occure
> at the rate of one in ten thousand, and reality. some seem to
> "mutate" only rarely.

I just want to again point out that TC itself is not the culprit!! Some
varieties of hosta come absolutely true in TC most others have a
significant cull rate. This should not be an alarming fact to anyone. In
TC, you are replicating the plants at an incredibly rapid rate compared
to growing in the ground. One of the reasons so many people like hostas
in the first place is their astonishing propensity to mutate. The advent
of the Hosta Wheel has shed much light on the subject of mutation. Jim
Hawes, and all his colleagues have done a truly great thing by
introducing the Hosta Wheel. When Jim explains to me, and he has done so
many times, why some plants don't come true in TC, I feel like I
understand it at last, but I really don't. Jim, I hope you will comment
on this. I have cultured some plants that I was certain wouldn't come
true, but many if not most, of them did. On the other hand there are
some which appeared to be a sure bet in TC but they were not. One of the
plants that comes to mind is 'Laura and Darryl. I simply gave up. On the
other hand 'Dick Ward' is relatively stable in TC in my lab. Actually I
would have thought 'Spilt Milk' would have been stable too, but it
wasn't. I make this statement to everyone who asks me to TC for them:
There is no way at all to tell how a new hybrid will behave in TC
without trying it.
There are so many problems that manifest themselves in TC that would
take years to develop under garden conditions. Just the problem of
systemic contamination, which I see in an occasional plant, is
completely uncontrollable in practical terms. There seems to be a trade
off to everything. Want a lot of plants quickly; TC will provide them.
In all the years I have been growing and TC'ing hostas, I simply have
never seen any problem in TC that would cause anyone to be upset by the
procedure itself, but many people, in fact, are very upset by it, and
quite a few growers sanctimoneously proclaim that they do not sell TC
plants! TC, though be it high tech, is just another way of increasing
plants by division. A vastly different process than any other way of
increase, but still, just another way to increase them by division. I'm
sure all hosta growers accept the fact that there is a bud at the axil
of every petiole. Each of these buds is capable of growing in TC. If one
of the buds is a mutation, and it gets replicated in TC, there you have
it, a new variety!
John Lanier, Burnsville, NC