From: zonneveld <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl>
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Date: Monday, August 16, 1999 4:28 AM
Subject: 1 in a million

If people dont mind and setting aside some unecesarely rude remarks
This is what I can see about mutations

First definitions as half the confusion is related to the fact that
people assume that a sport is  the same as a mutation( it is not)
something I have tried to convince you from  in nearly every article
in the journal
SPORT: a shoot differing from the mother plant

irrespective of the cause!)
MUTATION: a heritable change in DNA.
If a green plants mutates to a  variagated one we have a
sport due to a mutation.
Jim Anderson is right when he says that ON AVERAGE ( my
addition) mutation frequency is one in a million
But there are two caveats!
First the mutation frequency strongly depends on the clone. As an
example I induced a certain mutation in 3 different yeast strains of
the same species. one did give me 3 mutants the other 800, the
third around 10.000 per million
Secondly It strongly depends on the genes involved.
So the frequency of mutation easely varies between 1/10.000 and
1/100.000.000  depending on the clone and the genes involved
So in my opinion Hosta does not have a very high mutation rate Only
the gene(s) we are interested in and leads to variegation mutated
with a high frequency Remember however that most sports are NOT
due to mutation but to Chim rearr and mitotic recombination.

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands