different frequencies

Jim Anderson
Here a possible mechanism explaining differences but there are
Mutations arise in the DNA. All organisms have extensive mechanism (
repair enzymes ) to deal with that Occasionally a mistake
escapes the repair, leading to an mutation. However the quality of
these rapairs differs between species. Some are better equiped to
cope with radiation , others with chemicals etc. The same is true for
genes. Hosta happen to have gene(s) that have to do with leaf color
that mutate often( else we would not be interested in these plants!).
I suspect that for other genes the mutation frequency is comparable
to other plants How often did you find a  pure white flower mutation?
PS I will not react anymore to the, as usual, very insulting letter
of Joe Halinar.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden