mutation frequency

JIm Anderson
What I tell you are not fancy theories, you can find the same opinion
in every book about genetics. I only apply the rules of genetics to
Hosta. Something is not a theory , just because you hear it for the
first time

Your second question was: Why  are some chromosome parts more
sensitive to mutations.
Mutation frequency of a certain gene depends on the following
1. the size of the gene, how larger how more vulnerable
2. the activity of the gene, active genes are more vulnerable than
less active ones
3. The place of the gene on the chromosome Near centromeres and
near the end (telomeres) mutation frequencies are different.
4. the compositon of the gene ie what bases make up a gene,This can
make them more vulnerable to say transposons if an very, very rare
active one arises
5. the background  or interference of other genes
Genes brought in a different organism react often in another way
6.Some genes are just not well developed evolutionary , like the
genes for a strong back in humans.
7.. Lastly remeber we are looking really to only a few genes as we
are only interested in variegation , and  very strongly select for it
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands